Landlord Risk Mitigation Fund

The FM Coalition for Homeless Persons launched a Landlord Risk Mitigation Fund (LRMF) in 2014 to encourage property managers and landlords to rent to people experiencing homelessness. The fund is a chance for people with housing barriers to have stable housing. Landlords and property managers who agree to rent to people in the program can recoup funds lost due to unpaid rent or excessive damage to units. The program is formal partnership between housing providers, service providers, and persons with barriers to housing. The applications come with agency recommendations and prospective tenants are partnered with a support services worker. The support services worker acts as a communication bridge between landlord and tenant. Landlords who opt into the fund are covered for physical and operational costs of up to $3,000 for up to two years. If problems occur there is opportunity for free mediation services through the local Community Action Agencies.

The FM Coalition's Landlord Risk Mitigation Fund Advisory Board makes all acceptance and denial decisions. Participation requirements are listed below.

How to invest in the fund

Tenant application form

Landlord/Property Manager Information

Tenant/Service Worker Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Other resources

How to Apply for the Landlord Risk Mitigation Fund

  1. Service worker or case manager determines a client would be a good fit for the program
  2. The applicant and service worker complete the Tenant Application
  3. Applicant agrees to receive on-going housing case management for the time in the fund
  4. Service worker agrees to provide up to two years of housing case management
  5. Service worker prepares a letter of recommendation demonstrating need to accompany the application
  6. Service worker emails the application to the Coalition director noting LRMF application in the SUBJECT line
  7. Upon approval of the application by the advisory committee, the service worker receives a certificate of acceptance that includes the tenant’s name, the start date of the certificate (good for 45 days and eligible for renewal is housing isn’t secured by that time), and listing special requirements of the advisory committee, if any.
  8. Client and service worker locate a landlord or property manager willing to rent to the client within the rules of the LRMF Program.
  9. Service worker or client provide the landlord with a copy of the certificate and provides the landlord's contact information to the Coalition

Consumer (Tenant) Leasing Process

  • Once the client has signed a lease agreement, the client or Service worker notify the Coalition of successful rental and the property manager’s information by submitting a copy of the lease and the check-in inspection form to the Coalition.
  • The service worker provides on-going housing case management for the time the Consumer (Tenant) is in the program (up to two years). See Housing Case Management Expectations below.
  • The Coalition staff will track who is enrolled in the program, claims made against the fund, and participation of landlords/property managers.

Housing Case Management Expectations

  • The service worker agrees to follow the tenant for the length of time the tenant is enrolled in the LRMF program (up to two years). (Enrollment in the fund can be discontinued by the tenant at any time but this MUST be conveyed to the service worker and the coalition.)
  • The service worker agrees to help the consumer/client find housing; explaining the program and its benefits and referring the Landlord to the website or the Coalition if more information is needed.
  • The service worker agrees to do the check-in inventory with the tenant and to take photographs of existing damage.

Landlord Expectations

  • Sign a lease with the tenant and provide a copy of the lease to the tenant, the support services worker, and the FM Coalition staff person.
  • Make and keep a copy of the tenant's LRMF certificate.
  • If tenant defaults on lease or damages the property in excess of the damage deposit, contact the support services worker (aka housing case manager) and the FM Coalition for Homeless Persons to file a claim.

Mediation Services for Tenants and Landlords